This two-part series highlights specific knowledge management approaches and techniques with specific applications in transportation organizations. It is designed for staff within human resources, engineering, research, planning, or information technology functions who are interested in starting up a knowledge management initiative or pilot and want to gain an operational understanding of what would be involved. These sessions will provide stories and information from professionals who have implemented knowledge management in their organizations. Versions of these presentations were made at TRB in January 2017(Session 271)
Part 1: View Recording Here
Part 2: Wednesday May 31st, 1-2pm REGISTER
Brass Tacks of Knowledge Management: Successful Implementation
- Introduction to the Brass Tacks of Knowledge Management by Becky Burk, Performance Management Manager, Maryland State Highway Administration
- Developing a Gold Standard Knowledge Management Program – Dr. Shellie Glass, USSOUTHCOM Chief Knowledge Officer
- What does it take to apply Knowledge Management capabilities into real application? How do you change a culture, resistant to change, to see the advantages of KM? THE US SOUTHERN Command’s Knowledge Management Office, located in Miami, FL, is responsible for providing and transferring vital information and knowledge throughout its Area of Responsibility (Central and South America and the Caribbean.) The real test of KM’s Rapid Response capability was tested when Hurricane Matthew devastated Haiti in 2016. This presentation demonstrates some of the tools and techniques that were used and which helped to change a resistant culture.
- One Size Doesn’t Fit All: Start Where You Are — Maureen Hammer, Knowledge Management Engineer, Battelle
- How you deploy knowledge management is dependent on your organization’s goals and needs. Learn what tools will help you mitigate the potential loss of knowledge due to retirements and the changing workforce; make knowledge and information findable; improve performance; and support innovation. Major lessons learned over twenty years will be shared to help you be successful.
Knowledge Management Resources
TR News: Applying Knowledge Management (Sept/Oct 2016) Articles cover transportation knowledge networks and communities of practice; lessons from the use and value of knowledge management in other fields; knowledge, information, and learning culture; experience at transportation agencies, including a CEO’s perspective; supporting strategic change and preserving institutional knowledge; plus an overview of the research and applications—and more.
Advances in Transportation Agency Knowledge Management (2014)
This report summarizes the findings from a scan workshop of Knowledge Management (KM) within transportation agencies and other organizations. The purpose of this scan was to identify and document successful KM practices and identify additional needs to advance KM in transportation agencies.
A Guide to Agency-Wide Knowledge Management for State Departments of Transportation (2015)
TRB’s National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Report 813: A Guide to Agency-Wide Knowledge Management for State Departments of Transportation presents guidance for state transportation agencies on adopting an explicit knowledge management (KM) strategy and the ways that organizations have implemented such strategies. KM is an umbrella term for a variety of techniques for preserving and enhancing the knowledge of an organization’s employees and effectively employing that knowledge as a productive asset.
A web based version is also available: